Despite the fact that British adults spend on average more time online than asleep, and use their internet connections to do everything from switching on the lights to finding a mate, access is not considered as important as the electricity that powers homes or the water running from taps.
I spoke at the LSE Literary Festival a few weeks ago about Digital Personhood and Identity. Specifically, I spoke about what makes a person ‘human’ in the digital age:
New publication: Identity & Agency in the International Encyclopedia of Digital Communication and Society
Dr Aleks Krotoski
“Aleks Krotoski is a rare combination of academic (she has a PhD in psychology), geek, reporter and fluent essayist.” – The Guardian
“Her combination of cautious academic rigour and geek-like enthusiasm makes a very valuable contribution to the debate” – Financial Times
Aleks is an Emmy, BAFTA and Radio Academy Award-winning academic and journalist who writes about and studies psychology and technology. She is one of the leading national broadcasters and podcasters of her generation.
I’m haunted by the mis-information that’s out there about what the internet is “doing” to us. I’ve made it my career as a social psychologist to look closely at the claims made in public and behind the walls of the ivory tower, examining research about what drives and influences us and how today’s drivers and influencers might be different from those pre-web.
Read More on Tumblr
I’ve been away for eight weeks but that doesn’t mean I’ve been idle. I’ve been working on a new, top secret, personal long-term project that I expect will distract me for a lifetime.
- Ain't no more denying it.. Only $300 left to go to hit the $5k mark! Please support the L&... https://t.co/glKUXUz6ML
- @ResearchDigest somehow i feel this is a headline for @TheOnion
- ohgodican'tbelieveisignedupforastupidmarathonandit'sjusttwodaysawaysomebodyhelpmeplsi'mgoin... https://t.co/GgQLphvdNc
- @RichardBattye you sure that's fog?
- So excited for the badly behaved @bertbertie women as their first Hollywood movie premieres tomorrow on YouTube Red https://t.co/WYzPAGl3sc
- Laissez les bons temps etc. Not feeling like celebrating Mardi Gras today, but the purple,... https://t.co/glKUXUz6ML
- Best news of the year: https://t.co/yz2yWov8VP HT @benhammersley /cc @iainlee
- @bayvel_p thanks!
We have a responsibility to protect our privacy in the digital age. Now, I’m not excusing the role of institutions in this human rights issue, but while they navigate the rocky landscape thrown up by the digital world, we need to get real about how to live responsibly with our data.
- Aleks on The Power of Privacy. Take *that* Zuckerberg!
- Steve Thompson on The Power of Privacy. Take *that* Zuckerberg!
- Aleks on [BBC Radio 4] New series: The Digital Human starts Monday 30 April 2012
- Aleks on Beef tongue and digital lollipops at the LSE
- Jon Buscall on Beef tongue and digital lollipops at the LSE